Friday, May 28, 2010

Raindancer


Yesterday I spent an entire day walking amidst beautiful lush green paths in a dense forest. Surrounded by green, above and beside me, I felt as though I were drinking in a richness. The air got heavier as the day progressed, and rainclouds ushered in, threatening to open up their bounty. I love the smell of rain, when the earth prepares to receive a thorough soaking. When I set out on the trail, I had no idea what would lie in store for me. Yet I was up for an adventure.

I was two thirds of the way to the end of the wooded trail when I first began to hear the raindrops. Turning my face upwards, I could see the tiny droplets falling from the treetops and descending to the ground. Then I felt them. First one, then two, and then a third drop. Cold on my skin. It wasn't long before the heavens released the rain in quicker succession. Soon, I and those around me found ourselves drenched. I cannot remember the last time I got caught in a torrential downpour. Even the trees could not shield us from the waters that cascaded down upon us.

The sound of the steady downpour was soothing. Like a soft symphony.
And I danced like a child. I spun. I soaked it in. And it was beautiful.

image source

1 comment:

  1. Your posted picture choice is wonderful, as is your verbal anecdote. It reads as a short story, a scene from a book. You should write a short story including this scene, and other such insights.

    Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete