Sunday, May 30, 2010

Firefly


It was a magical night. I can now say that it is officially summer, because I saw with my very own eyes the first of the fireflies. My childlike sense of wonder has always been fascinated with the ethereal light that these tiny bugs produce. On and off, their twinkling lights dance through the darkness.

I thought about the way that light contrasts with darkness. How darkness is the absence of light. And how the tiniest lightning bug flicker can draw my attention when it pierces through the darkness. Then I began to think about the people in my life who have been a light to me when all other lights have gone out. How Christ is the greatest Light, the Light of the world who entered the darkness to give us the true light. And how His followers shine just like the fireflies. We are a light in dark places, that penetrate through the despair and show hope to those who have none.

So I concluded that I am a firefly. Christ's firefly. Figuratively speaking, of course. And I love to shine brightly for Him.


image source

No comments:

Post a Comment