Friday, January 1, 2010

Smashing Success

Ok, so I did it. I broke down and bit the bullet. I paid to see Avatar in 3D, in theaters. And honestly, I was impressed. James Cameron is being lauded as a genius, because he has done it again. The film has been out for a mere two weeks and has already grossed over $200 million.

Avatar is the first movie that I have seen in 3D. And it took me on quite a ride. The visuals are stunning, and Cameron successfully created a convincing world, race, language, and culture. Pandora made a smooth transition from the concept stage to the big screen. Small wonder that so many are flocking to see it. Avatar is loaded, and delivers quite an awesome package.

The story, however, is loaded with Cameron's liberal agenda. If you are looking for a film with great content, I would suggest you search elsewhere. There are other elements of Avatar that are disturbing, such as anti-American sentiment and bizarre spiritualism [reminiscent of Disney's Pocahontas]. Having said that, it does not seem that audiences care about the storyline as much as the visual effects, because Avatar continues to break box office records.

From a visual perspective, Avatar is incredible. But I was not impressed with the substance of the movie. Truth be told, there is no substance in Avatar. This is not a movie that I would watch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment