Friday, January 1, 2010

Rare Gems

As an avid reader, I am constantly on the prowl for new books to read. It runs in my family. My mother instilled in her children a love of books, and we have our own private 'library' upstairs. Four custom built shelves go from floor to ceiling, and they are filled with treasures. My first major furniture purchase was a Billie bookshelf from IKEA, and I am quickly filling in the empty spaces. Mom volunteers at a library downtown, and my brother is employed at our local library. I - and this should come as no surprise - work part time at a privately owned Christian bookstore.

I have stated before that I judge books by their covers. When I first saw Fireflies in December, I was enchanted. The very title was poetry. Flipping the book open, I began to peruse the first chapter. Before I knew it, I was locked into the tale. The story swept me along, and the characters came to life in my mind. Jennifer Valent's book is a rare gem, one that you do not come across very often. People both young and old can easily relate to her protagonist and the supporting cast of characters. Readers will be charmed by the Southern coming of age tale, as seen through the eyes of a young thirteen year old girl named Jessilyn Lassiter.


Valent's second book, Cottonwood Whispers, continues the story several years later. And a third book, entitled Catching Moondrops, is set for release in Fall 2010. I am greatly anticipating it's arrival. Thus far, Valent's books have captured both the beauty and pain of life through the perspective of a young girl learning to face challenges as they come her way. If you are looking for a well-written, heart-warming piece of fiction, search no further. To learn more about Valent, visit her website: www.jennifervalent.com

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Kelsey! I saw your post this morning, and it was so nice to start my day with it! I'm excited to see how much you enjoyed the books. Hoping you like Catching Moondrops as much! Thanks so much for spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! My sisters and I have read and re-read Fireflies, and now Cottonwood Whispers as well. I was so pleased that you are continuing the story with Cottonwood Whispers and Catching Moondrops.

    ReplyDelete