Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Innocent Little Pleasures

I was very pleased to discover Beth Pattillo's newest release, Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart. I so enjoyed her first book, entitled Jane Austen Ruined My Life, that I could not resist the temptation. I've been longing for a fun book to read over holidays, and the timing couldn't have been better.

What drew me into the first book was the melodramatic cover. I know we're never to judge a book by its cover, but I usually do. Being an avid Jane Austen reader, when I saw the unique combination of the title and the cover, I was sold. I simply had to devour the contents. And I was delighted by every single page. The ending was not at all what I had expected, but I was pleasantly surprised by the story's conclusion.


The design of the cover is beautiful. Red and black are a strong, bold contrast. Immediately, your eyes are drawn to the figure at the bottom of the image, clothed in a bright red dress. She lays on a low, ivy-covered bench, stretched out in an overly dramatic position, her sandaled feet crossed in a lady-like manner. The font is perfect, with Jane Austen in a script and the remainder, Ruined My Life in a nice, modern type. What makes the cover pop is the usage of red against a drained, dismal backdrop of greys and blacks.

I am now prepared to curl up with my new Pattillo book and a steaming cup of tea, wrapped, of course, in a throw blanket, for I am always cold. Ahhhh, bliss...

No comments:

Post a Comment