Friday, November 13, 2009

Wii Are Fit

I am no gamer. I have never been enamored by video games, MMOs, PlayStation, and the like. As far as immersive entertainment goes, I watch movies. I prefer to invest my time in relationships with people rather than in virtual reality living out my fantasies. I will confess that even I have broken down and bowled on the Wii. A few times. But even though the Wii is entertaining, it just isn't my thing.

Instead of playing a virtual game of soccer, I would rather interact with my friends in a real game out in my backyard or a local park. I am more interested in bowling in a dinky alley and wearing funky, smelly shoes [who really cares where they've been or thinks about who else has worn them?] along with a group of friends, because that is an experience. The physicality creates lasting memories. I love bonding with people by spending time with them, and it so happens that 'fun' and entertainment are a by-product of quality time spent in developing my relationships.


Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am somewhat of a cynical person. Or perhaps the sarcastic twist is flat out funny. Whatever the reason, when I watched this YouTube clip, I knew it would end up on my blog. It says a lot about today's culture. Enjoy it ... I certainly did.

How much of our lives do we spend 'stepping up on a little white thing?' We can laugh at the mash-up, but it is humorous because it is so true. I am cynical, and I love sarcastic humor, but the truth of the matter is that Wii is just the beginning. Virtual reality gaming has been steadily rising in popularity, and as new technologies are created, Wii will become a thing of the past. People will clamor for the latest and greatest, and digital media will continue to impress. The distinction between reality and virtuality is merging, for we are living in the age of convergence.

No comments:

Post a Comment