Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mirrors&Smoke



I am a huge Lifehouse fan, and I have been anticipating their new album release for some time. Today, I just discovered their premiere cover for their long-awaited album, Smoke & Mirrors. I have to say that I was impressed. The elements of design that were infused into the cover are appealing, and the layout makes the title pop. Against a dark backdrop, wisps of curving blue smoke dance across the edges of the square. The font is modern, and the design is such that the top half of the cover is bold, while the bottom half is a mirrored reflection and dimmer. It is mysterious and intriguing. Smoke & Mirrors. Honestly, I would buy it just for the cover art.


This image is an earlier rendition that didn't quite make the cut. While not a horrible design, it does not as effectively convey the message. It is lacking in certain aspects, and does not grab attention in the same way as the premiere cover. There is less drama and more empty space.

On a side note, I do tend to judge things by their covers. I think the cover is an important aspect of the product, and speaks volumes about the content within. My eyes are drawn to appealing designs, and I would be more inclined to purchase a book or CD if the cover art is attractive or interesting. I am now more eager than before to have Lifehouse's new album in my possession. I certainly hope it lives up to the cover.

image 1
image 2

No comments:

Post a Comment