Sunday, November 1, 2009

CQ + PQ > IQ


I've written about passion. It is something that I recognize when I see it. I have heard a lot about passion. It is something that my Professors, teachers, parents, and mentors drill into me. They tell me to pursue a career that I can be passionate about. I have been told that people who are driven by curiosity and passion are more sought after than people with intelligence. That curiosity and passion combined are greater than intelligence. And with all this information about passion swirling in my head, I found an article that reinforced the very issues that I have been hearing so much about: passion and curiosity.

Four Myths About Career Passion
by
Curt Rosengren

Myth No. 1: Pursuing your passion is selfish and self-indulgent. It is nonsensical to believe that if a job is fun, it must be selfish. To sum up, when you love what you're doing for such a significant portion of your waking hours, the positive ripple effect on your family, your coworkers, and even just random people you encounter can be substantial.

Myth No. 2: You have to be "realistic." Work, after all, is called work for a reason; right? It is true that people are realistic, but they should be clear on what that means. Learn to distinguish between positive realism and 'negative realism.' We're amazingly creative, we humans, but when we buy into negative realism, we allow ourselves to be trapped in a tiny box of possibility.

Myth No. 3: Do what you love, and the money will follow. Hate to break it to you, but this is not entirely true. The full version is "Do what you love, work really, really hard, be patient, be persistent, be open, work really, really hard some more, and the money will follow." Not quite as catchy, I know, but much more accurate.

Myth No. 4: I'm limited by the rules. "The rules" create a needless barrier between you and your potential. When you follow cookie-cutter rules and take a cookie-cutter approach, you'll get cookie-cutter results. Pursuing your passion is inherently about creating your own path. It's about breaking out of the ruts and saying, "No, guess what? These are my rules. This is the way it's done."

I've begun to reflect on what I am passionate about. What turns me on, and makes me 'come alive'. For me, it is art - the act of creating. I derive pleasure from taking something that I visualize in my head and turning it into reality. Whether it is writing, music, painting, sketching, or photography, I take joy in creating. This is my passion. Art makes me animated.

If you haven't noticed, another passion of mine is travel. I love exploring new cultures and experiencing different environments. I am thrilled whenever I have an opportunity to travel to a different country. The sights, smells, and the change of scenery charge me. I enjoy observing people's mannerisms, and love learning about the rich histories of nations. Understanding where they have come from helps me to better understand who they are today.

Each of us are given passions. It is up to us to decide what we are to do with them.

source
image

No comments:

Post a Comment