Saturday, September 26, 2009

Wealth of Information


I love books. When I saw this photograph in a class lecture last week, I fell in love with it. This is an image of George Lucas' personal library at Skywalker Ranch. I hadn't pictured George Lucas to be a bookish type. I had always seen him as a technology genius and the mastermind behind the Star Wars saga. I have to say, I am envious of his ornate sanctuary. The atmosphere is restful. It looks like a place where time stands still.

My other initial reaction when I saw this image went in a completely different direction. This room reminded me of Professor Henry Higgins' library, as portrayed in the 1964 film My Fair Lady. To confirm this, I searched YouTube for a clip from the movie. The resemblance is remarkable. The basic layout of the two libraries are very similar, though Lucas' is more modern in certain respects. But the spiral staircase, vaulted ceiling, and wooden rows of bookshelves are alike. Check out the link to see for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSjjO7hgQDM

2 comments: