Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pushing Higher


As a child, I loved to swing. I would pump ever higher, always wishing that somehow, some way, I could touch that bit of cloud far out in the big blue yonder. I wanted to dance in the sky, and swinging brought me as close as I had ever been. There was something exhilarating about swinging.

I am older now, and I do not swing as often any more. There are times, however, that I reminisce, and I occasionally seek out a playground in search of my old familiar favorite. Life can seem so simple as I methodically pump, falling up, falling down. Closing my eyes, I feel the rush of air and imagine soaring upwards, into the sky.

I recall the days when my little legs did not yet possess the strength to pump me on their own. It was then that my father would push me from behind. I remember the joy and the laughter, as he would cause me to burst into giggles when he would give me his special 'underdogs.' He was always there for me, keeping me in motion. Eventually, he taught me how to swing on my own.

Christ is like my father in the sense that He quietly under-girds me, steadily pushing me when I do not have the strength. And when the time comes, He watches me from a distance as I learn to 'swing' on my own.

Lately, it seems as though I have been swinging often. Jesus has equipped me and John as well, and we have had to do our share of pumping. We are exercising our muscles and strengthening our legs, and we are discovering how to go the distance. And I know that Jesus is supporting us as we push higher. Further up, and further in... Onwards and upwards, for the glory of Christ.


image credit

5 comments:

  1. Holy is the Lord, God almighty ... the earth is filled with His Glory. I am beyond thankful that some of that Glory has been the gift of you in our lives. You are ever in our thoughts and hopes and prayers. Swing lo, swing chariot, coming for to carry me home - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful to hear from you, Dad. I echo your sentiments: The earth is filled with His Glory. Holy indeed is the Lord God Almighty. It is a blessing to me to know that you are lifting us up in prayer. My thoughts have turned to you and the family back home in Indiana as of late. I find myself missing your companionship and our talks. I look forward to talking with you again soon. Love always, your Kels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Catherine! Your writing and pieces of art are beautiful as well, and I love perusing your blog. Blessings to you and your family, Kels

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you get the app BeHave on any app store, you will see that this picture is replicated off one already done before. Look in the photography section

    ReplyDelete