Friday, August 5, 2011

In Moderation


The aroma of freshly brewed coffee beans beckon me, luring me invitingly to sip a mug of creamy goodness. In Manila, I discovered The Coffee Bean & The Tea Leaf, and I now prefer it over Starbucks. Quality roast coffee for a better price, and with a classy atmosphere that is comfortably balanced with a laid back feeling, all combine to make the Bean & Leaf the coffeehouse of my choice. Their white chocolate dream latte is sublime. I enjoy leisurely mornings with my husband over a steaming hot cup of coffee.

Most of you are already aware of my love of coffee. In the States, especially when I was in college, I could hardly get through a day without my morning brew. I have since reduced my coffee intake, and now that I am in the Philippines my coffee cravings are still going strong. Our hospitable neighbors possess a Starbucks french press, and the resulting flavor is very rich and smooth. I have not been deprived of my favorite indulgence here in Olongapo.

Unfortunately, I have come to the realization that coffee, while still absolutely delicious and satisfying, is not beneficial to me. It dehydrates me, and since arriving in the Philippines, I have had to double my efforts to stay hydrated. As much as I love coffee, I will have to limit myself in order to stay healthy. C'est la vie... If only I loved water as much as my dark brew.

So the next time I visit a coffeehouse, it will make the cup all the sweeter as I will be anticipating the flavors to roll over my tongue. You can bet that I will savor the smells, the warmth of the mug in my hands, and the sensation and taste of the white chocolate dream latte. Some things in life are not necessary, but they sure do give it more pizazz.

coffee bean & the tea leaf

1 comment:

  1. Kels, you ever make me smile. It was wonderful to skype you this (your morning). Good night!

    ReplyDelete