Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pure Talent



I do not watch much TV, but there was one show that caught my interest this past year. Sing-Off was a breath of fresh air, showcasing talented singers who performed in front of a live audience and a panel of judges. Unlike American Idol, these groups of singers belted out their melodies old school style: acapella. This form of singing leaves the performers nothing to hide behind, giving them a platform to display their pure talent.

And what an incredible pool of talent. It was truly a joy to listen to the voices blend together in such diverse arrangements. For a lover of music, the Sing-Off was rich with real, honest-to-goodness talent. My favorite piece from the whole season was the contestants' rendition of Use Somebody. I crank it up in my car as I commute to work, and it never fails to give me chills as the song crescendos to it's climax.



My favorite group performance was Committed's arrangement of Apologize. Their harmonies are so incredibly melodic. I was blown away...

And the group with the most creative, carefree, and completely fun arrangement, would hands down be Street Corner Symphony's Down on the Corner. Classic.

To sum up, it was classy. Clean, classy, and fresh, Sing-Off season two was memorable and enjoyable. It was great to discover that there is still some quality floating around on television.


No comments:

Post a Comment