Saturday, January 29, 2011

His Symphony


To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never ... this is my symphony. {William Henry Channing}
A friend of mine shared this quote, and I love the sentiment reflected in the words. I echo Channing - could hardly have said it better myself.
I have never liked pretenses. There are times when I wish that we could all take off the masks that we cling to so tightly. Who are we fooling, anyhow? Why not live life to the fullest, to be content in all things, take the time to drink in the details, and slow down, hurry never?
I wonder why so many people strive to become someone other than themselves. By that, I mean attempting to mold themselves into the person they think others wish them to be, rather than reaching their full potential. I think we shortchange ourselves, and this is disheartening. Quiet people do not usually give voice to their thoughts, for fear of being called a fool. Instead they hold their tongue, and never speak.
I was guilty of this. But I have put it behind me, and overcome my fears. While not an extrovert by any means, I am no longer afraid of what people think of me. And it has made such a difference in my life. Each of us have our own fears to overcome, our own battles to fight. It was Christ who helped me fight mine, and I have never been so free as I am now. It is because of Him that I can echo Channing's sentiment. Because of Jesus, I can join His symphony.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Kels. To be content and to hurry never, yeah, I like that. Now to practice it.

    ReplyDelete