Thursday, February 18, 2010

Optimistic Pessimist


Aren't oximorans wonderful? Sorts of contradictory statements that have become an accepted part of the English language, and I will admit that I adore them. Take for instance, act naturally. As opposed to just being yourself, I suppose. Or how about sweet sorrow? Though it may sound romantic and immensely poetic, sorrow is not sweet. Perhaps my all time favorite is the optimistic pessimest. I feel connected to this oximoron somehow, especially after today. And the character who best embodies this hilareous contradiction - in my mind - is none other than Puddleglum the Marshwiggle.

I am paying homage to one of my favorite fictional characters in this post. C.S. Lewis introduced him in the book The Silver Chair, and Puddleglum has captured the love of adoring fans ever since. And so, in honor of Clive Staples Lewis and Puddleglum, I will share a few of my favorite Puddleglum-isms.

"Good morning Guests,” he said. “Though when I say good I don’t mean it won't probably turn to rain or it might be snow, or fog, or thunder. You didn’t get any sleep, I daresay."

"…but I’d better not tell you that story. It might lower your spirits, and that’s a thing I never do."

"Very likely, what with enemies, and mountains, and rivers to cross, and losing our way, and next to nothing to eat, and sore feet, we’ll hardly notice the weather."

"The bright side of it is… that if we break our necks getting down the cliff, then we’re safe from being drowned in the river."

Re-reading these has done just the thing. Cheered me up a bit, and brought a smile to my face. Though it won't last for long, I shouldn't wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment