Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Of Potato Peel Pie


I have fallen in love with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Written as a collection of letters and read by a brilliant cast, this audio book has delighted me as I have driven to and from school. As I have listened to the story unfold, I have become intimately connected with a lovable cast of characters. The best part? They have genuine British accents.

The letters begin in post-war England, in the year of 1946. In the aftermath of the devastation, the people try to pick up the pieces of their broken lives. They share their lives on paper, and narrate their experiences, giving the reader a glimpse into their thoughts and tumultuous feelings.

The beautiful aspect of the novel, written by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, is the way that the characters connect. Each of the letter-writers love books. Not just any sorts of books, but the types of books that communicate and express the sorts of emotions and thoughts that the readers feel themselves. The novel captures a true love of literature in its finest sense. And as the characters compose their letters, they are themselves weaving a story of their own.

As I have listened with rapt attention to the letters, I find myself drawn to the fictional people. I can relate to them. I am saddened by their sorrow, and I laugh with them in their joy. I cannot thank my friend enough for allowing me to borrow her copy of the audio book. I do not want the story to end, and am savoring every minute of the listening experience. And what a name. With a title as promising as The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, the book certainly lives up to its intriguing, and almost laughable, title. Filled with introspective musings and engaging wit, this book is a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment