Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Meese, Moose, and Dr. Seuss


Language is a funny thing. My cousin Hayato tells me that English is difficult, and I have to agree with him. For instance, take the word moose. When moose is plural, it remains the same. More than one moose are still moose in proper English. Goose, however, is another matter entirely. Multiple goose are geese. If that isn't confusing enough, we have the mongooses. A singular mongoose is a mongoose, but when we are talking about more than one, the word becomes mongooses.
A moose is a moose.
There are no mooses or meese.
A goose is a goose.
There are no gooses, just geese.
But a mongoose is a mongoose -
There are no mongeese.
Only mongooses.
And I feel like Dr. Seuss.
Nonsensical. Absurd. But this is true. In order to speak correctly, we must observe that the moose, geese, and mongooses are much nicer than plain old moose, goose, and mongoose. Just a bit of useful information that I felt like sharing...

2 comments: