Tuesday, September 13, 2011

She Says


‘When I grow up, I want to be just like you.’ They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, and yet as the eight year old Maiya stood there staring into my eyes, I could hardly meet her gaze. They were shining with admiration.


I did not quite know what to say to her. And yet, if I could have found my tongue, I should have replied, ‘If you want to be like me, my advice to you is this. Follow Jesus. Love Him with all of your heart, and never turn to another. Let Him fill you up with His love. Don't try to be like me.’


Instead, I said, ‘Do you now?’ and let the comment slide, deflecting it with a flippant response. The longer I live, the more I find that the qualities I admire in others are usually a reflection of Christ. So if Maiya sees anything in me, I pray it is Him. I pray that her young heart seeks after His with a fervent passion.


I remember back when I was her age. I looked up to a young woman, a godly lady. I told her that I wanted to grow up to be like her. And now I find myself years later, roles reversed, taken by surprise. Maiya was not the first girl to tell me this. So I will continue to strive hard after Christ, pursuing His glory. If they see anything in me, may it be Him. I pray she sees Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. it was so good to read this! i've been thinking over this same topic off and on recently as I watch my younger sisters imitate me in different ways. if nothing else it flat out scares me! who wants to imitate me?! but as you said, if they see anything in me, may they see Jesus. because without Him, there is nothing worth imitating. <3

    ReplyDelete